A little bit late but all my blog posts are late at the moment! Since this is late I will make this post about twitter lists as quick as I can! If you have not seen this new feature on twitter, a list is basically a group which you can make with a bunch of people in it and it will create another timeline for all these people. Other people can then follow these lists and you can follow other people’s lists but what is the point in lists and what can you use them for?
For the person making the list there are 2 main purposes (that I can see):
- Organisation – You can organise the people you follow on twitter into groups so that it is easy to keep up to date with certain things. You may already use grouping methods in other applications and this is a brilliant way for doing the same but through the twitter website. This can also be handy when needing to find people in a certian group or when you only want to know what your friend are up to.
- Keeping your timeline clean – I don’t know about you but I am following a lot of rubbish on twitter and it takes up so many of my API calls in applications like @TweetDeck or @PocketTwit, therefore limiting the amount of useful tweets I can see and wasting my time by making me have to skip all of the useless tweets. By using lists you can move anyone that your following into a list, then view them only when you want to. This will clean up the timeline and make it more relevant! I will definitely be doing this for all the twitter games that I am following as they tend to clog allot of my timeline for no reason; when they are in a list I can view the games when I feel like joining in!
For someone who follows twitter lists:
- Easy updates – Say for example you liked the news, but you didn’t want to go round following every news twitter user; using lists you could find someone who has compiled a good list of news lists and then follow that. If the creator of the list maintains it then it will also mean that you don’t need to search for more twitter users in the categories you are following lists for.
- Topic based lists – If you like a specific topic, you will be able to find the perfect list for this. Another person interested in the same things may have already made a list of Twitter users related to that interest and finding a relevant list will save you time; rather than looking for every twitter user related to a topic you like you simply find the list and if it is updated you will always be getting the latest tweets from the latest twitter users in the areas you are interested in!
- Find Twitter users – By finding relevant lists, you do not have to follow them but you could look at who is followed in the list and pick and chose the ones you like helping you find new and interesting people to follow.
For someone on a twitter list:
- Wider exposure – Get your twitter viewed by more people as people view lists that include you. Even if the you are not followed due to a list, if you are followed by a list that is widely followed you will get your tweets read by many people!
I wrote this very quickly and the time where I am is 00:36am, I may improve this tomorrow 😛
UPDATE: I have added a little bit to this post but not that much…. 😛